Prevent and remove mold
If there is mold growing in your home, it's a problem. In most cases, it's more than just unsightly. It can also have a negative effect on your health.* Learn how to deal with mold and how to prevent it from occurring.
What causes mold?
Mold forms due to excessive moisture indoors. A common reason for mold growth is improper ventilation and heating. But it can also form due to construction defects, leaky roofs, cracks in the walls or damage to water pipes.
A first indication of mold is usually a musty smell along with the appearance of spots on walls, grout, furniture or other objects.
How dangerous is mold?
If you notice mold in your home, then you should remove it as soon as possible. Not only is it there where you see it, the mold spores can also be carried as airborne particles. If they are inhaled, they can trigger allergic reactions and irritations in humans and even lead to respiratory problems.* So it is all the more important to take immediate action.
How do you get rid of mold?
For smaller areas, and provided it is not caused by serious structural damage, you can remove the mold yourself.
- Make sure to wear protective gear like gloves, safety goggles and an FFP3 mask. The mask will protect you from inhaling the mold spores.
- Remove objects like furniture or toys from the room or, if not possible, drape them with protective covering.
- Then you can treat the affected area, for example, with an anti-mold product according to the directions for use. Please note: To reduce the amount of mold spores that get into the air, do not remove the affected area when dry, but spray it well.
- Keep the room well ventilated during and after removal, and wash the protective clothing thoroughly after use.
If your own measures do not eliminate the problem, or if there are larger areas with mold, it is advisable to call in a qualified professional.
Air Purifiers fight mold
If you recently had or currently still have mold in your home, then an Air Purifier can help you to effectively eliminate the invisible mold spores from the air.
When considering your purchase, make sure that the air purifier includes high-quality HEPA filters that can trap particles between 0.10 and 0.30 microns (µm). If you already notice a musty smell, we also recommend using an activated carbon filter, which eliminates unpleasant odors.
Our AP902 Professional Air Purifier meets these criteria and removes 99.995% airborne particles as small as 0.07 microns. You also have the option of buying an activated carbon filter. This will provide you with clean air, free from musty odors and mold spores.
Please note: Air Purifiers can only relieve symptoms, but not the cause of the problem.
How you can prevent mold with the right indoor climate:
Ensure the correct humidity
The ideal humidity is between 40-60%. The higher it is, the greater the danger of mold forming. That's why you should avoid hanging wet wash in rooms that already have high humidity and always ensure proper ventilation (see below).
Also regularly check the humidity, especially when you suspect that there is a problem. You will always be able to keep track of this with a hygrometer (digital humidity meter).
Note: Do you already own a Venta Air Humidifier or Airwasher? Then there's no need to worry! Our air humidifiers function according to the principle of cold evaporation.
The right way to heat
During the heating period, maintain a temperature of at least 18°C in your living areas and bedrooms. The temperature should not fall below that, otherwise there is a risk of mold forming.
Regular ventilation goes hand in hand with proper heating and optimal humidity. This helps transport excess humidity out of indoor living areas. Instead of tipping the window and airing for a longer period of time, you should air more often with shock ventilation. This is especially important after showering or cooking.
Arrange furniture properly
Do not place furniture directly in front of heating elements or up against cold outer walls. They should be placed at a distance of 5 to 10 cm away to enable the air to circulate freely in the room and to reduce the risk of mold.
*Source: How harmful to health is mold in the home?
Venta Airwashers and Humidifiers
- Room size up to 75 m²
- Certified Nelior filter technology with HEPA 14 clean room filters acc. to DIN EN 1822
- Coarse dust filters for particles up to 10 μm increase the service life of HEPA 14 clean room filters
- Professional PM2.5 particle sensor for real-time air quality display
- Convenient control with the Venta Home App
- Air quality display according to worldwide Air Quality Index
- Room size up to 70 m²
- Airwasher with hybrid functionality as an air purifier and humidifier
- Highly efficient humidification with VentWave™ 3D technology
- Low-maintenance operation thanks to patented hygiene disk – without chemical additives
- Certified Nelior filter technology with HEPA 14 clean room filter acc. to DIN EN 1822
- Coarse dust filters for particles down to 10 μm increase the service life of the HEPA 14 clean room filter
- Up to 99.9 % sterilisation thanks to UVC technology
- Professional sensors for real-time air quality & humidity display
- Convenient control with the Venta Home App
- For rooms up to 75 m²
- Two coarse dust filters (washable)
- Two allergen, virus and fine dust filters remove particles of down to 0.1 μm
- Naturally reduces harmful substances in the air
- Intelligent particle sensor monitors and controls air quality
- Interactive touch display
- Quiet operation
- Remote control