November is Lung Cancer Awareness Month and here at Venta, we are spreading the word about the research and the stories surrounding this horrible disease.
In case you have not noticed, we are all about promoting air quality and it goes without saying that we love the lungs. Let’s think beyond Lung Cancer Awareness Month…
Making healthy lifestyle choices and weaving them into your day as a habit will not only benefit the lungs, but the rest of your body, mind, and spirit.
Here’s how to love your lungs (and your body) a little better:
1. Steer clear of secondhand smoke. If someone you love smokes, ask them to take it outside. If you smoke – QUIT. There is a lot of support out there for people looking to ditch this unhealthy habit.
2. Do some cardio. Getting active is the perfect way to get your blood flowing to your heart and lungs. The University of Maryland Medical Center conducted a report on the benefits of exercise and found the combination of inactivity and consuming an unhealthy diet to be the second most common preventable cause of death in the United States. Guess what is the first? Smoking.
3. Eat your fruits and veggies. While studies cannot prove that eating fruits and vegetables will prevent lung cancer, fresh produce does provide healthy nutrients and vitamins necessary, keeping your body in tip-top shape.
4. Become a supporter of the Lung Cancer Alliance. Doing good makes you feel good. The Lung Cancer Alliance is a non-profit organization dedicated to being an advocate for people living with lung cancer or individuals at risk of getting the disease. There are so many ways to give – attend events like the Shine A Light on Lung Cancer Vigil.
5. Lower your risk of exposure to radon. A toxic, colorless gas, radon is linked to causing lung cancer. Plus, if you smoke and are regularly exposed to radon, it’s another deadly strike against the health of your lungs. Testing for radon in your home is easy, but if you are still unsure, contact a local professional radon service provider.
6. Be an example. Perfection is not the key here, excellence and your personal best is. A child is like a sponge and often mirrors the behavior he/she observes from the adults in their life, so putting your best healthiest foot forward will hopefully pave a positive reminder that taking care of your body is just as important as following your dreams.
7. Wash your air. You heard me, wash the air! Providing an allergen-free atmosphere in your home is an easy way to protect the people who have upper respiratory sensitivities in your family from mold, dust, pet dander, and other particles floating around in the air. An easy solution, adding a Venta Airwasher rids the air of potentially harmful elements and regulates the humidity in the air. All without the use of conventional filters.
Love your lungs all year long by implementing these few easy habits into your life. You won’t regret it!